5 Essential Oils That Help with Hair Loss, Dandruff, and Other Hair Issues
We’ve all experienced dandruff at least once in our lifetime. Or hair loss. Greasy hair? Constant problem for people with oily scalp. Flakiness? Dry hair? You name it. These are hair issues that have become part of our regular life. There is no denying it. There is no way around it.
We all have different hair type, lifestyle, we are at a different point of our life, we consume different food, or we are on different medications. But one thing is constant: these hair problems occur.
Another thing that is constant, is using essential oils for hair problems. Instead of reaching for over the counter hair treatments, we suggest trying essential oils. They are a natural alternative that is much safer. Prepared through distillation of concentrated plant, flower, or herb oils, these oils can be classified as “natural plant powerhouse”. With that in mind, here are 5 that work perfectly for hair issues.
Rosemary oil is known as one of the best oils for cooking. It is al thanks to its unique smell. But in addition to being great oil for cooking, rosemary oil also have amazing healing properties.
Mainly, the oil is rich in antioxidants. And the best part is, rosemary works for all hair types. Be it dry, normal, or oily hair, rosemary oil can help. How? By unclogging your scalp pores and balancing the oil production of your scalp. You can even mix it with some other dandruff-specific oils for a more potent treatment.
Some of the benefits of using rosemary oil include support of healthy hair growth, promoting circulation on the scalp, and activating your roots. Some studies have shown that rosemary oil can help improve hair regrowth by up to 40%.
How to use?
- Wash and clean your scalp and hair. Mix 12 drops of rosemary oil and 4 tablespoons of lightly heated olive oil in your palms
- Apply the mixture on your damp hair and scalp, and then gently massage it. Massage for a minute or two, as your hair absorbs the mixture
- Cover your scalp with a damp cloth. Leave it for 30 minutes, and then rinse the oil
Peppermint oil for hair has so many benefits. It is one of the best essential oils you can put on your hair. Not only it brings healing benefits, peppermint oil also has an invigorating feel and smell.
For greasy and dry hair, peppermint oil works perfectly. The cooling tingle of peppermint oil is amazing, as the oil penetrates into your hair strands. Peppermint oil also helps with clogged pores, as it removes dirt. You can also use it to treat lice, eliminate dandruff, and much more. Let’s not forget, if you have troubles with hair regrowth, peppermint oil supports circulation, improving and promoting hair growth by 50%.
How to use?
- Because peppermint oil is rather potent, you have to check if you are allergic first. Do a patch test. If there is no allergic reaction within 24 hours, it is safe for usage
- After checking for safety, mix 3 drops of the essential oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, jojoba, or almond oil
- Mix the solution in your palms, and then deeply massage it into your scalp. Leave the solution for 30 minutes, and then rinse off
- Repeat the treatment every day for one month to get maximum results
Arguably one of the most famous essential oils. Lavender is the first essential oil that comes to mind, mainly because of its relaxing smell and scent. The healing properties of true lavender oil has been proved over and over again.
People mainly use lavender oil as a relief of anxiety and pain. But because the oil possess antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, you can use it for hair issues as well. Lavender oil helps with hair growth, but also with flakiness, oily hair, or dry hair.
The oil gives your hair a shiny luster, and promotes deep hair conditioning.
How to use?
- Lavender works best in blends with other oils. That is why you need to mix equal parts of lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oil. Ideally, you want 5 drops of each
- Massage the potent solution into your scalp
- Cover your hair with a shower cap, and leave it for 1 hour. Wash off afterward
Avocado is known as a superfood, one of the healthiest foods on the planet. It is only logical that avocado oil is as healthy as well. The oil has many medicinal uses, including those for hair and scalp treatment.
As a great moisturizer, avocado oil can help with dry scalp, dandruff, and many more scalp issues. Avocado has high penetrative ability, creating a wet environment deep into your scalp and hair, and promoting moisture of the scalp.
One of the most common uses is for fighting dandruff. But you can also use avocado oil for stopping hair loss, and strengthen your hair follicles. In addition to providing moisture, avocado is also rich in vitamin E and B, nourishing your hair from within.
How to use?
- Soak your hair in water
- Whisk 1 egg white, and then add a tablespoon of honey, 5 drops of avocado oil, and 5 drops of olive oil. Combine well
- Apply the mixture on your scalp by gently massaging. Leave for 10 minutes, and then rinse off
Tea tree oil
Known as one of the most potent antibacterial oils, tea tree oil can help with any infection and irritation, including dandruff. In addition, tea tree oil promotes healthy hair growth.
The oil has been used for medicinal purposes as well. Doctors use it to treat seborrheic dermatitis.
The only downside to tea tree oil is the pungent smell. But if you can get pass that, tea tree oil will help unclog pores and eliminate any bacteria or fungal infection on your scalp.
How to use?
- If you have dandruff problems, add just a few drops to your regular shampoo. Massage well and wash your hair as usual
- For promoting hair growth, mix 3 drops of tea tree oil and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Massage into your scalp, leave for 25 minutes, and then rinse off
Images from BEAUTY SCENE EXCLUSIVE: Supernatural by Patrick Lacsina – See the full story here