Kids grow in and out of their clothes, shoes, and toys; sometimes, parents can hardly keep up. Unfortunately, that means, for the most part, there is no way the summer shoes from last year will fit on those growing like a weed, but still cute and adorable feet this year.
Thus, you must teeter on the line between fashion and comfortability to get the most practical, affordable, and stylish summer shoes for your kids.
Sneakers or tennis shoes are great for allowing your child to explore the world around them, especially in the summer. From backyard barbeques to playing tag at the park, sneakers provide a safe and breathable shoe for your kids.
While sneakers have always been one of the best options for shoes for people of all ages, the new mesh sneaker material available is incredibly comfortable, will dry fast, and is ready for any amount of playtime.
Although, there are plenty of sneaker types that are perfectly acceptable for your kids to wear this summer. Here are some qualities to look for when you go to buy your child’s summertime sneakers:
- Take your child with you to shoe shop for them.
- Measure your child’s feet every time you go shopping, especially for closed-toe shoes.
- Shop early in the day, as feet swell during the day from walking around, which might cause you to get the wrong size.
- Get your child to try both shoes on, stand up, and walk around the store to see if they are comfortable in the shoes.
Mary Janes are classic and fairly comfortable for a long day of looking your best. Of course, you don’t want to make your kids wear uncomfortable shoes, but sometimes, the attire requires a little more than the everyday shoe.
So, Mary Janes are a good selection to bridge the gap.
Here are a few tips to help you get the right Mary Janes for your child:
- Ensure the shoes are wide enough that they won’t squish their little toes after wearing them for an extended period.
- Get the secure shoe size without the shoes being tight.
- Do not rely on shoes with a “breaking in period.”
There are so many different sandals for kids, and while adults might need sandals with arch support or other specific comfortability requirements, kids can wear just about anything.
Yet, that doesn’t mean they should. Here are some tips to help you pick out the perfect sandals for your kids:
- Make sure there is room for growth.
- Get sandals made from durable yet breathable material.
- Find closed-toe for little ones, so their feet are protected (two and under) and open-toe for older children, so their feet have more movement capabilities.
- Keep sandals clean, so nothing nasty has a chance to grow in them.
These tips are so important for sandals because little feet grow quickly, and since sandals are an everyday shoe for summer, they will likely wear them a lot. So, you should make sure your kid’s sandals always provide a clean and comfortable environment for your children.
Plus, if they have velcro adjustments, your smaller children can practice putting them on themselves, which they will love. (Just make sure they put the sandals on the correct feet!)
Water shoes are essential summertime shoes for little ones because they are always running, and they usually don’t care where they are or what they’re doing. If kids want to go somewhere, they will go, so even if you are having a day at the beach, pool, or (especially) the waterpark, you want to have water shoes that protect your children’s feet when they dash to whatever activity has captured their attention.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when you dive into the task of buying water shoes for your little fish:
- Water shoes should have a thick sole, so it is easier to walk on rocky bottoms without hurting.
- Ensure that water shoes fit snugly but not tight.
- Water shoes should have good traction for walking on slippery surfaces.
Ultimately, it can be really fun to dress your children up in cute shoes, especially during the summer, when there are so many different types of shoes. Yet, you always need to remember the importance of having comfortable, breathable shoes that work with your children’s growing feet instead of forcing them into a mold.
Fortunately, hundreds of available kids’ shoes fit this criterion and are still utterly adorable.