Introducing an ultra-modern range of unique brushes that delivers a high level of performance and revolutionizes personal makeup application. Ergonomically designed for even and effortless application, lush, silky, synthetic fibres are engineered to expertly pick up and apply product seamlessly. Available in three sizes, Linear 1, Oval 3 and Oval 6 feature a special grip brush handle designed for absolute control, and a tilted tip that keeps fingers and hands out of the way for ultimate precision.
Linear 1 ($25.00 U.S. / $30.00 CDN)
With a short, narrow shape, the brush delivers a firm, precise stroke to line lashes and lips. Also defines and fills brows. Synthetic fibres. Handle features special grip design and tilted brush tip for ultimate precision. Sleek black finish.
Oval 3 ($32.00 U.S. / $38.50 CDN)
The ultimate multipurpose tool, with an elongated oval shape and slightly pointed tip. Smoothly shades and blends powder or cream eye shadows, powder, and liquid or cream concealer in the hard-to-reach contours of the face. Synthetic fibres. Handle features special grip design and tilted brush tip for ultimate precision. Sleek black finish.
Oval 6 ($42.00 U.S. / $50.50 CDN)
Ideal for blush, foundation or powder, the rounded, medium-sized brush applies, blends and contours all over the face or cheeks for even, flawless coverage. Synthetic fibres. Handle features special grip design and tilted brush tip for ultimate precision. Sleek black finish.
Masterclass Brush Collection Q&A
With Nick Gavrelis Vice President, Global Product Development, M·A·C Cosmetics.
1. What are the catalysts that inspired the Masterclass Brush Collection development? What makes the design so revolutionary? Can you expand on the technology and materials used to create the handle and brush fibers?
Several years ago, we in Artist Training and Development began to think about how to re-design a makeup brush to make self-application more effortless and consistent for both the right and left handed individual. Research took us back to the origin of brush design, when the brush handle was made of twig or bone and the brush head was comprised of feather, human or animal hair. These brushes were used (with primitive paint) to record events and stories. Eventually, the brush was directed toward the face to give early man and woman another outlet for creative expression. The Masterclass Brushes were created with these early brushes in mind
In this collection, the brush head and handle are meant to run parallel to the face, instead of having to point the brush towards the face. The durable yet flexible metalized plastic composite handles have rubberized grips for comfort, and therefore, greater ease. All three Masterclass Brushes utilize a new type of synthetic bristle, Cosmefibre, which is a proprietary combination of materials, dyes, coatings and configurations. This yields an application like one would expect from only the finest natural luxury bristles.
2. Is it consumer or artist driven? In what ways do you predict both groups will benefit from this new offering?
While our M·A·C Masterclass Brushes may have originally been designed to make self application more effortless, our first customer, the make-up artist, will find each of these brushes highly valuable additions to their collection of professional tools. Both the consumer and make-up artist will be attracted to the futuristic design and the unusually dense and luxurious brush heads. The new types of synthetic fibres lend themselves to application differently; we expect the artists to gravitate toward this immediately. That is where both Consumer and Make-up Artist will be stunned at how effortless, fast and flawless make-up application can become.
3. What void do these brushes fill in M·A·C’s brush category? How are they different from the traditional makeup brushes currently in line?
There are three distinct voids that these brushes fill. The first is the need for a brush that makes self-application less intimidating to the first-time consumer. Secondly, there is a need for new synthetic fibers that feel natural, but that deliver the beautiful and perfectly blended results of high-end bristles. Make-up Artist Brushes have not changed dramatically in general appearance and construction for the past several hundred years, and these new brushes will help take the Make-up Artistry Tool category into the future.
4.There are three different sizes. How do you use each brush and what products would you recommend to use in conjunction with these brushes?
Masterclass Brushes are shaped to match the planes of the face, and the shape of the fiber bundles were made to adhere to the face’s various surfaces and contours.
These brushes work in gliding strokes of push or pull, not multiple dabs. Hold the handle between your thumb and fingers and place the brush at the beginning of the area of the face you are going to cover. Glide, pull or push if it feels more natural. Also notice that while you are using a Masterclass Brush, your hand is pointed away from the area you are trying to see. No more blocking the view, as with traditional brushes.
- Place, pull glide, push glide, shimmy
- Glide, don’t grind.
- Sweep strokes, don’t poke
- Oval 6: Great for applying primer, foundation and powder products to the entire face. Try blush and bronzer for contouring the cheek bone area.
- Oval 3: Includes a corner shape that assists the user in shading and blending cream, or powder eye shadow to the eye. It is also useful for applying foundation and concealer to targeted areas of the face: under the eye, the inside corner of the eye or on the sides of nose.
- Linear 1: Has a short narrow row of fibres to help concentrate product application along the lash line. This brush applies a perfect thin line of product along the upper lash line or tucked under the lower lash line. It can also be used to fill in and define the brows, or to apply a defined line along the lip. The Linear 1 brush is very helpful for special effects makeup to create crisp lines and linear shapes.
7. Were these brushes tested backstage during Fashion Week? What was the artists’ feedback?
All three Masterclass Brushes were tested backstage at the Autumn/Winter ’13 Ready To Wear Collections, starting in New York with our Directors of Make-up Artistry and Senior Artists. Their enthusiasm and feedback was extremely positive. They helped confirm that while these three brushes can be used together to complete an entire make-up look, a true make-up artist will incorporate them into his or her professional artistry tools and use them along with their other go-to brushes. The response from several top tier key make-up artists backstage was instant – they wanted their own sets.
8. How has the importance of professional tools in the consumer makeup category evolved in recent years, and how does this brush collection address this? What is distinctly M·A·C about this product offering and how does it stand out as a “Must Have” in the crowded competitive landscape of similar products?
Our M·A·C Artists have always been passionate and keen to demonstrate and educate about brush use. For many consumers, M·A·C introduced them to their first professional make-up artistry tools. Over the past 10 years, there hasn’t been a dramatic departure from the typical brush range, although we have seen a broader introduction of synthetic fibers, interesting new combinations of fibers, and many unique features and designs. However, in launching our Masterclass Brushes, we are introducing something that breaks us apart from the other brands. Unique in look and design, this collection it is a complete departure from what one expects. These amazing brushes are not meant to replace traditional make-up brushes, but rather to provide the consumer with more choices and will incorporate beautifully into a consumer’s or professional’s existing collection of brushes.