These days, everyone seems to be turning to natural, clean products in most aspects of their lives. The beauty industry hasn’t been left behind either. Its sustainability has evolved greatly, with all from average consumers to beauty aficionados and makeup artists preferring organic alternatives.
Big brands know this all too well, which is why most of them strive to offer organic beauty care and make-up products as they can. We shall look at the most exquisite ones briefly, but first things first.
What are Botanical ingredients?
Botanical ingredients are simply substances that are naturally found in plants. They are usually extracted from the roots, stems, leaves, fruits, seeds, buds, or flowers of plants.
The good thing about them is that most plants are easy to find as long as you know where to look.
With the right recipe, one can even make their own homemade cosmetic products DIY using flowers, for instance as the folks at Bouqs reveal. And you can get flowers delivered the next day or as soon as the same day to get started.
Other than makeup, botanicals are also used to make things like perfume, lotion, shampoo, soap, and a lot more!
Common Botanical Ingredients Used in Make-Up
Where the list is long and quite diverse, some botanical extracts are more popularly used than others.
Some of the most commonly used botanical ingredients for makeup production include the following:
- Panthenol: Contained in Vitamin E and used in moisturizer, foundation, and more.
- Cocoa Butter: Encouraged to be used in moisturizers as it is a good source of moisture.
- Vitamin E: Used in making lipsticks and lip glosses
- Coffeeberry extract: Used in moisturizers to reduce dark circles and pigmentation
- Peppermint extract: Used in softening the texture of the skin and improving blood circulation
- Argan Oil: Used in skin creams to brighten the skin,
- Eucalyptus extract: Used in nail polishes
- Clove extract: Used in lip glosses
- Citrus Aurantium Bergamia: Also called pomelo, this is often used in fruit peel and exfoliating masks.
- Cattleya Vulgaris: Also called Lotus Flower, it is often used in eye shadow, blush, and face paint.
- Galangal: Used in a variety of products, especially in face washes and exfoliating face masks.
- Saffron: Found in saffron bath oils. Used in nail polish, body lotions, and body scrubs.
- Hydrolyzed Coconut Acid: Often used in lip and lip gloss products.
- Chamomile: Also called Tea Tree. Used in eye creams and foundations.
5 Popular Beauty Brands That Use Botanicals
1. Juice Beauty
The company is renowned for providing consumers with quality natural beauty and organic skincare products in partnership with several leading botanical companies.
Launched in 2000 by founder and lifelong environmentalist Karen Behnke, the brand stocks an array of skincare and makeup products that are made from plant-based ingredients like malic acid, lemon, aloe juice, jojoba oil, shea butter, acai berry extracts, and many more.
2. Ilia Beauty
Located in Los Angeles, California, Ilia is home to a range of clean beauty products made with plant-based ingredients. Behind its founder Sasha Plavsic, it was started in 2011.
Among their most famous skincare products are the EcoMist products. EcoMist is a powerful lightweight mist, an all-natural moisturizer that can be used to treat various skincare concerns without causing any negative effects on the skin.
3. Elate Cosmetics
Specializing mostly in lipstick, this Canadian-based cosmetics brand has been around since 2014 under the stewardship of founder and beauty mogul Melodie Reynolds.
Apart from lip care products, they also offer a range of ethical and organic-based facial care and eye-care products as well as makeup tools.
4. Tata Harper
Tata Harper is another huge player in the organic natural skincare and beauty products industry. The 2010-founded brand was brought to life by Tata and Henry Harper and has since been all about 100% organic ingredients.
They stock a wide variety of beauty products, from cosmetics to facemasks, cleansers, serums, moisturizers, and everything in-between.
5. Corvus Botanicals
As the name implies, Corvus Botanicals is a luxury herbal skincare brand that uses wild-harvested plant materials to formulate its products. They are best known for their award-winning line of organic products that are free from chemicals, parabens, alcohol, and other toxins.
There’s no denying the fact that a great number of products that are currently on the market are not entirely clean, green, or cruelty-free. However, a good number of leading brands have set the stage for cosmetic providers to follow suit.
All images from BEAUTY SCENE Online Exclusive by Beauty Photographer Lewis Hayward – discover the complete shoot.